Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner SWR won't stay down

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuner SWR won't stay down
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2015 09:06:06 -0600
I recently had a problem where the SWR would "go crazy" frequently but seemingly at random. After "getting lucky" in a trouble shooting session I found a defective RG-8X jumper. In the middle of its length there was a section about 3-4 inches long where the center conductor was not centered in the dielectric. The center conductor "wandered" around and was right at the edge of the dielectric and in one very small place was right at the surface where it touched or nearly touched the foil wrapped around the dielectric under the braid.

The jumper repetitively passed the ohm meter test showing good conductivity everywhere it was supposed to and not conducting where it shouldn't. However when a dummy load was attached to one end and the antenna meter to the other the meter's indications were just weird and uninterpretable. Of course the same test setup with another jumper showed the expected 50 ohm reading independent of the freq. Subsequent to these tests I cut the jumper in half and by chance found the defect within an inch or so of the first piece I started cutting off little bits.

I saved a couple inch piece of just the dielectric with errant center conductor showing the worst of the defect and an adjacent sample of a couple inches showing a well centered center conductor at one end and the other end with the center conductor at the edge of the dielectric. I am keeping these samples as a reminder. I have had lots of coax experience, nearly 55 years, but never had this problem before. I will not have it again as all coax I buy with connectors installed will be tested with the antenna meter and or TDR and ditto for coax I put connectors on.

Prior to this experience I would have been skeptical that a jumper passing the ohm meter test could be so weird with RF. Seeing is believing. I hope reporting this incident may save someone some grief should they encounter a "funny" section in a piece of coax.

Patrick   NJ5G