Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

To: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: Dave Thompson <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 18:49:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Patrick is correct.  the balun at the top of the feedline is called a DMU in my
Carolina 80 Neam (also called the Carolina Short 80). At the end of the 21 foot
coax is a Line Isolator that cuts the RF at that point.  The Calolina OCF's
don't work right if the balan at the top cuts the RF at that point.

I have had great luck with My Carolina Beam or short 80. Mine is only 84 feet
long with 21 feet vertical at the short end and 32 feet vertical at the long
end.  I found that there is substantial radiation off the long end on 80 and
20.   Several years ago I worked the VK/ZL Oceania Contest as my KT-34XA was
down for repair and made 40 Qsos on 20.  However, the main pattern is slightly
off center broadside. I have worked the VP8 Islands with great success. I
easily worked the 3Y Dxpedition a few years ago and I worked the Juan Fernandez
Island a few months ago barefoot in a pile up.

73 Dave K4JRB