Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

To: wa3gin <wa3gin@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:50:39 -0600
It appears the matching unit between the ends of the Carolina Windom is
W4THU's secret blend of 11 herbs and spices, if you will.

Likely to prevent people from home-brewing the CW, it's never clearly
explained just what, if anything, might be different about it vs. a standard
4:1 balun, nor is there any indication any of the other units on his website
are similar in construction.

But the site does make it pretty clear the antenna relies upon common-mode
current on the outside of the coax between the antenna and the choke 24'
down the coax.

Can't, and won't, say I blame him for trying to keep proprietary information
proprietary, any more than I blame KFC for locking up the recipe. (I do
blame them for turning KFC into crap, however.)

For the RW OCFD, there doesn't appear to be a reliance on common-mode
current on the coax, since no choke is specified.

So, the question is: while a 4:1 balun is the correct choice for an OCFD,
would it necessarily replicate the matching unit in a CW? If it's designed
to prevent CM current on the coax, maybe not.

I don't know the answer, which is why I'm asking.
73, kelly
ve4xt