Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Carolina Winsome and vertical radiator question
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:23:59 -0500

> I didn't say anything about "forcing" CM to the braid.

"Forcing" was my term.  W4THU's write-up on the web site claimed the
"DMU" was designed to *enhance* current in the vertical radiator.

> What you appear to be suggesting is W4THU's DMU is just a 4:1 voltage
> balun. Is that right?

I suggested the DMU was an autotransformer based on what I recalled
from autopsying the DMU from a CW160 in which the PVC housing had
failed (all three "eyes" pulled through the PVC) after several years
of exposure to UV here in Florida.  I did not take time to unwind
the transformer to count turns in each leg.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV