Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

To: "Ham - Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection
From: "Larry Banks" <larryb.w1dyj@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 09:58:47 -0500
Old Ben Franklyn really knew something. :)
73 -- Larry -- W1DYJ

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Greenlee Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:02 To: towertalk@contesting.com Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna to Shack Ground Connection Your story seems to support the old rule of thumb. Lightning hit all around but not directly on to the tower.

Lots of folks think lightning rods (and other structures such a towers etc.) are intended to attract lightning to protect other objects from being hit. Not so, gentle reader, as the primary purpose of lightning rods is to drain away static charges such as accumulate and thereby prevent a lightning strike. If the grounded system is hit by lightning then the protection system has failed its primary goal. A secondary consideration is surviving the strike so as to continue with its primary purpose of draining charge and preventing strikes in the immediate area.

The videos we recently watched showing guys climbing tall towers let us see some of the charge draining structures. Some looked like metal modern art impressionistic porcupines among other styles. The shared attribute of the charge draining structures was their radius of curvature. Sharp points and edges to allow charges to more easily drain away. The electric field vector strength is inversely proportioned to the radius of curvature of the conductor. Sharp points "amplify" the field strength leading to more ionization and better conduction to drain the static charge.

Patrick   NJ5G