[TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Antenna to Shack Ground Connection

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Fwd: Antenna to Shack Ground Connection
From: Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 13:24:21 -0500
I hope we don't get a flame from this.

By connecting the shack and all equipment to the tower you want to, as much as
possible, putting your shack on the same voltage potential as the tower.
Ideally at a direct strike, the shack and the tower will have no (or almost no)
voltage between them. With no voltage difference you will have no current.

Needless to say, in order to accomplish this the connection between your tower
and shack has to be of enough size not to fuse at a strike. A couple of 3/4" Cu
pipes will sustain most strikes. I don't know if a #4 wire will do. (I am using
a 6" wide piece of sheet aluminum.)

At the shack, the Al strip is connected to a steel plate where all cables,
telephone, control, coax etc are going through, entering the shack. This plate
is connect to a shield/screen that surround the shack. (I installed a shield
consisting or #20 wires and aluminum foils around the shack when I built it.)

I would think that if you place a metal sheet just under the table-top where
your equipment is located, your equipment should be relatively well protected
if the plate is connected to the tower.

There are many ways to protect your shack but trying to isolate it by not
connecting it to the tower will result in the current from a strike will follow
whatever cable/wire you have between the tower and your shack resulting in ...,
no I don't have to elaborate on that. A grounding rod have, at best, a few ohms
resistance to ground. A direct hit generate currents in the order of 1000 amps
or more. Say, you have 2 ohms resistance in your ground systems you will get
about 4 kV difference (2+2)*1000, enough to do a lot of damage.