[TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 21:55:37 -0800
Ok, I have a requirement where an additional  one or two x  2.4 inch OD, type
33 cores needs  to be added to  an existing choke balun.
Since each end of the RG-393 silver plated + teflon coax is already silver
soldered to a 7-16 DIN connector  at each end of the nema box,
I would rather not have to take the entire assy apart.  Major pita.    393 coax
has TWO  silver plated braids, and in this case, each of the braids has been
carefully
separated at each end, and each braid is silver soldered to a lug,  that is
bolted to  the 7-16 din connector flange, via the SS  8-32 machine screws.
IE: 2 of the 4 corners of each 7-16 din female coax connector gets a braid
attachment.

Can a 2.4 inch OD, 1.4 inch ID, type 33 toroid  be cut in half, edges sanded,
then  placed around the existing  4-5 turns of 393 coax, then
held together via glue, ty-raps, both, or some other method ???   I have an
excellent H-V bandsaw, made for cutting steel, hard steel, and AL.
IE: 80-120-200 ft per minute.   It would slice through a toroid very quickly.
If what I propose is feasible, it would save me a lot of grief.
I already checked, and the big, type 43 snap on types  will not fit, since they
only have a 1 inch ID.

Tnx...... Jim   VE7RF