Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??

To: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 02:24:33 -0800
It’s a thick walled plastic nema box.... and toroids are type 31, not type 33. 7-17 female connectors on each end. Existing chokes consist of 4 turns of 393 through 4 x type 31 cores. Steve, G3TXQ tried 4 x turns of 213 through 4 x cores and found the Z was a little over 3 k ohms from 13-27 mhz. I need to use one box for 15m, and the 2nd box for 20m. Without mucking it up too much, I believe I can add at least one more core, perhaps 2 cores to the 15M box....and possibly 2-4 additional cores
to the 20m box.

I also need to build two more boxes, one for 80m, and the 2nd for 40m. These are all monoband chokes, so they only have to work good one one band. I think the max turns that can be stuffed through these 1.4 inch ID cores is aprx 5-7 ? 393 coax is is bit smaller OD vs 213. .391 inch vs .405 inch.

Something else I cant fathom is the use of cores on both sides of the coax loop. IE: 3-5 x cores at 9 oclock position...and 3-5 at the 3 oclock position...... vs 6-10 cores all stacked on one side. K9YC sez the binocular format is not optimum. I just don’t understand why. I only have so much room in these nema boxes... so cant have huge loops on the outside of the cores. I also cant have loads of space between the loops on the outside. I can only cram so many torroids in there and only on one side. Think it was like 6-7 max. Im also trying to extrapolate K9YCs info, plus factor in tight turns, with no space between em. 6-7 x cores + 5-7 turns might do the trick for either, or 80 and 40m. I need to optimize for 80 and also 40m, separate chokes, the best I can, with the
constraints I have.

Jim  VE7RF

-----Original Message----- From: Ian White