Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??

To: "'Jim Thomson'" <jim.thom@telus.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting a FT-240 type 33...in half ??
From: "Ian White" <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 11:35:19 -0000
Thank goodness it's a <plastic> NEMA box (the choke would do nothing in a metal
box).

But why use a box with bulkhead connectors anyway? That seems to be the root
cause of all the problems.

I never use bulkhead sockets on anything outdoors, because they require
stripping the coax which creates opportunities for water leakage, bad solder
joints and corrosion - all of which can be avoided by using inline connectors.
If you don't need someplace to fix bulkhead connectors, then you don't actually
need a box either.

Would there be any problem about using inline connectors and no box at all?
That would cure your space limitations :-)

From limited experience with smaller cores, cutting cores in half and
re-joining them is not a good way to go. You'll probably lose several cores in
learning the best way to do it, and ferrite makes razor-sharp flakes so you'll
almost certainly lose some blood as well. And even after all that effort, you
won't ever get back to the AL value of the original core. Just don't go there
at all.

Interesting question about binocular arrangements of cores (two short stacks of
cores side by side, vs one tall stack). I found K9YC's comparative measurements
[1] but am struggling to explain either (a) the shift in resonant frequency or
(b) the difference in |Z| magnitude.

[1] http://www.k9yc.com/CoaxChokesPPT.pdf

73 from Ian GM3SEK