Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question

To: ve4xt@mymts.net, "Towertalk@contesting.com" <Towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mosley Antenna Question
From: Courtney Judd <k4wi@k4wi.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 09:01:10 -0600
I just have to put my 2 cents here on this subject! Back in the 70's my friend and neighbor Don ... then WA4BCY, now K4UE... and I... then K4JYO, now K4WI.. were busy chasing DX for new ones for our DXCC total count. Don and I had identical rigs except for antennas: Drake twins and SB220 amps; Don had a TH6-dxx @100 ft and I had a Hygain 2 el Quad @ 100 ft. Don and I usually ran neck and neck on any DX that showed up. A newbie showed up in the neighbor hood and asked us for advice and he ended up with the same setup except someone told him that Mosley was the best antenna to have. So he put up a Mosley tribander at 100 ft. One evening Don and I were chatting with KC4AA in the Antartic and the newbie broke in and asked if he could make contact.... Sure, good ahead and call him.... after about 10 attempts by him the KC4 asked if the caller was using a wet noodle for an antenna as he could not hear a peep from the WB4. I guess that made him feel so bad that he sold all his ham stuff and went back to 11 meters. I felt sorry for him but he was given good advice and didn't follow it. Most everyone knew that if you were serious about increasing your DXCC totals, Mosley was not the way to go! I worked my first 300 countries with that 2 el quad but eventually switched to Yaesu FT-1000D and KLM "Big Sticks" monobanders and ended up with my total of 355. So this is real world experience with the Mosley/others; I always liked going up against any dude with a Mosley antenna in a DX pileup... made life easier for me! My 2 cents for sure lol 73's Cort K4WI

ve4xt@mymts.net <mailto:ve4xt@mymts.net>
Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:54 PM
The point many Mosley supporters don't seem to understand is that from the results of one antenna, you cannot derive any knowledge about whether it is outperforming another yagi of comparable cost or dimensions.

A person who puts up a TH7 and uses it exclusively for ten years can proclaim he was happy with the performance, but has no basis for proclaiming it would have outperformed, say, a Skyhawk, JK Tribander, X7 or even a Pro57.

Someone who took down a TA 33 and replaced it with an A4s and notices an improvement DOES have a basis for regretting buying the TA33, however.

An engineer and a tower expert who create a scientific plan for comparing antennas and execute that plan do have a basis for saying that one brand of antennas was inferior to competing, comparable models, as well.

The plural of anecdote is not data. Only by sound comparison can one say for certain that spending $1,500 with Mosley is better than spending $1,500 with DX Engineering or Hy-Gain or JK.

73, Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPad