Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 12:46:36 -0700
On Mon,4/6/2015 12:10 PM, Alfred Watson via TowerTalk wrote:
I am thinking about a newer (maybe better) HF antenna. I have now a T-11 LPA
from Tennadyne.

I've always had good results with hy gain and never owned an opti beam.

Any thoughts on a TH-11 vs an Opti beam OB 9-5.

Both offer the same bands. 10,15,20,17,12.

I have a 3-el SteppIR (the original) with the added fixed element for 6M. The antenna covers 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, and 6. It's an optimized 3-el on each band (and even at each part of each band). It's been up for about 5 years, and I've never had a problem that I could blame on the antenna. It's quite light for the gain -- K6XX, who does all of my climbing, was easily able to handle it by himself. This antenna, and the original 4-el are mature designs. The 4-el gives another dB or so.

The 3-3l SteppIR "trombone" antennas will give you gain on 30 and 40M as well. They are MUCH heavier, and the mechanical designs are not as mature (although they seem to be getting there). Several of my friends own them and are happy campers.

The only other antennas I would consider are the Force12 XR-series antennas. Unfortunately their website doesn't give any specs.

73, Jim K9YC