Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices
From: "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 06:42:52 -0500
I am a big fan of OptiBeam antennas however these are two big issues that
likely hurt their business in North America.  Besides the air cargo fees,
in the U.S. you have to clear customs. This has become a complicated
process and it is easier to pay someone to do this. I think this fee is
typically well over $100.  The customs hassle could be avoided if OptiBeam
shipped a bulk of antennas to the U.S.

One time I was looking for metric tubing in the U.S. and I was
unsuccessful however many imperial sizes are close enough to work if
needed. I agree that building your own monobanders using .058 wall tubing
is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive. Designing and building
multiband antennas is much more complicated.

John KK9A