Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] antenna choices
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 13:34:38 -0400
Setting up an assembly line for low volume products is an expensive proposition. Then again, other than fixtures for drilling holes and making custom insulators, what in building antenna "kits" can be automated? One of my first jobs was working in an automotive plant which thankfully was only a couple of years. So I'm well aquainted with production lines and small parts even if it is old information.

Unless you are copying a proven design, or slightly modifying one you still have warranty/service costs. Hams who have been around a few years will remember "less expensive" antennas making wild claims that didn't last long.

A manufacturer can purchase tubing in standard lengths of 24 feet and in bulk for quite a bit less than DX Engineering sells it for, but theirs is reasonably priced for small lots. Remember they are a retail operation, so that tubing has probably gone through at least 3 levels of sales.

To me, large ham antennas do not lend themselves to mass production like TV antennas where the elements are small, thin, rolled sheet that is fragile (read cheap) for a mass market. the entire antenna can be assembled before shipping. The customer just snaps the elements into place. Still, they are so fragile it's easy to break an element even on top end models.

73

Roger (K8RI)