Re: [TowerTalk] choke / balun design needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] choke / balun design needed
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 10:59:08 -0700
On Mon,4/27/2015 10:02 AM, TexasRF--- via TowerTalk wrote:
So, is there ANY solution to providing a feedline choke for an OCF dipole
used with high power?

Assuming coax and reasonably low SWR, it might be possible to "brute force" it by using multiple 5K Ohm chokes in series on the line. In the early stages of my work on coax chokes, I rigged a special 40M vertical dipole in one of my tall redwoods that used the outside of the coax shield as the bottom half of the dipole, with a 5K ohm choke a quarter wave down the line from the feedpoint acting as the end insulator. This places a VERY high voltage across the choke, and it handled 1.5 kW for about 15 minutes before the coax melted. :) I replaced the feedline with a beefier one and put two of those 5K ohm chokes in series. That DID handle 1.5kW for CW and SSB. I didn't test with RTTY. :)

N6BV has shown that if the SWR is high, even the best choke is likely to fry due to differential loss. That's in addition to the common mode dissipation.

73, Jim K9YC