Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotating tower guying question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotating tower guying question
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 19:51:52 -0700
I agree with KK9A. I think the Philly will outlast EHS if installed and treated properly. At least I plan so in re-using about 1200 ft recovered with a 140' R65 AM radio tower I'll be erecting in a three weeks. The tower needed to be regalvanized as it was just starting to show surface rust. The Philly looks perfect. Since this was pre 1995 or so parallel strand Philly, I used Spelter sockets and epoxy to terminate the ends (see my article in Nov/Dec 2014 NCJ about this). Cable clamps will not work reliably on any Philly and current guy grips also won't work on the old Philly. I suspect the galvanizing on the new guy grips are the life limiting factor. A test section of my "old" Philly with Spelter terminations was tensioned to destruction on a test stand and failed right at original spec - 26,000 lbs.

Abrasion and water inside that freezes are the enemies of the PE cover. The Kevlar doesn't have great fatigue life but is probably better than EHS, so torque bars are likely a good idea on all towers that rotate or have large antennas. It also has poor abrasion resistance, so a branch that rubs thru the PE rapidly abrades the Kevlar.

EHS is often recommended as a bottom section as wild fire and vandalism protection. However, any fire will anneal the heat treating of the EHS and it should be replaced. Since the Spelter sockets are not field adjustable, I use a short EHS bottom section so the guys can be "cut to length" when the tower is erected.

Grant KZ1W