Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: 90 degree coax bend atop a crankup tower
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 19:33:27 -0400
Migration where the coax is laying on the ground is specific to several types of coax where the materials for the center conductor and outer (jacket, shield, and braid) have substantially different coefficients of expansion, 9913 is one. I've never seen it in the LMR series with Al inner and outer construction which OTOH is very poor about migration in vertical runs. I've found LMR-600 to be very bad, but single turn loops 16 to 18" in dia about every 50 feet or so, seem to cure it.

I used all, 9913 and was an advocate of proper weather proofing, until lightening blew off all the weatherproofing and less than 15 minutes later /I had water running out of the 2-meter rig. Back then I used coax seal, or the 3M equivalent covered with 88 tape. It not only removed all the weatherproofing, but the silver plating as well, leaving the connectors looking like sand blasted brass. Blowing dry air or N2 through it would have repaired it, but I gave all, or almost all of it away.

73

Roger (K8RI)