Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning vertical SWR-Analyzer vs SWR bridge

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tuning vertical SWR-Analyzer vs SWR bridge
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 23:06:27 -0400
The first step I'd take would be to recalibrate the AIM and make sure the settings are correct. Mine is so sensitive that I can see the right most two digits move with the wind. That's on a 1.0xx SWR. The resistance and reactance also play a part.

My 4170C is very sensitive to calibration and settings although I've not experienced differences of a magnitude like you have.

I too have a cantankerous vertical. It worked great until the wasps built a nest inside the matching network. A few got across the coax connector and were fried. That brought their buddies to the rescue who were also promptly fried. I actually had "bee goo" through the connector and several inches down into the coax. I had to clean the network, rebuild it and it's still not right. A second AV640 installed at the same location acts the same, so I believe it's something external to the antenna.

However, the SWR bridge in the tuner and rig agree (more or less) with the AIM.

73

Roger  (K8RI)

---