Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2015 11:23:29 -0500
You didn't mention budget. Among my collection of skywire and aluminum I have a Hy-Gain Hy-Tower multi-band vertical that transmits equally well in all directions (or equally poorly if you are a glass half empty type.) No rotator, controller, or much maintenance. Very good wind/storm/ice survivability. (I have a 160m kit to put on It (inverted L.) It does pretty good on 80, 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 10m. Sometimes depending on band, conditions, distance to contact I can do a few dB better with a 90x180 Carolina windom off center fed dipole but over 90% of the time the Hy-Tower does as well or better than the OCF dipole.

This is a robust low maint good performing antenna. It is designed to be free standing on one cubic yard of concrete and comes standard with a hinged tilt base which makes iterative tuning sessions fairly simple and easy to do. A couple men can walk it up or down. I built a simple rig with a small manual winch for single handed raise/lower. I get fussy about tuning the various stubs (aluminum tubing not coax stubs) which resonate on some bands so a winch operated raise/lower capability was handy for iterative tuning sessions. The raise/lower winch accessory could be shared among the array and not need one each per antenna.

An array of these (4 each antennas in a rectangular arrangement as per the instruction manual gives you steerable beam forming capability. As an alternative to conventional towers, rotators, controllers and yagis, you might consider an array of Hy-Gain Hy-Tower antennas. From the ground up they are a 24 ft galvanized steel tapered lattice tower with several lengths of telescoping aluminum tubing above that for a total height above ground of 52-53 ft.

I have a picture of one mounted on top of a barn with 4 Phillystran guys at the 24 ft level (with guys the custom base didn't have to be so complicated to spread the load.) The picture is on my QRZ page.

Patrick        NJ5G