Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Omnidirectional antenna for domestic contests
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:06:54 -0700
Fan dipoles in a V configuration.

Have been considering adding a set of 160 M legs to my 80M inverted V which currently is fed 70 feet up off my tower. The legs are in a straight line, SE and NW, ending about 12 feet off the ground. Have not been on 160 for decades! It performs reasonably well on 80 considering.

If anyone has any experience with a 80-160 fan dipole I'd sure like to hear what they were/are. Should I add the legs, they would form more of a V with one leg going SW and the other NE, with an included angle between them of about 150-160 deg. Ends would probably be also have to be around 12 feet.

Recognizing this is a less than stellar configuration I'd appreciate comments on what I might expect from the 160 portion performance wise and what problems I might encounter.

When I moved I gave away all my ARRL antenna books and I don't own an antenna anaylzer or modeling program so experienced input of others is important and welcome.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown