Re: [TowerTalk] how does one accomplish a 'stud' for elements?

To: StellarCAT <rxdesign@ssvecnet.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] how does one accomplish a 'stud' for elements?
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2016 09:28:20 -0600
I'm wondering if Optibeam's design uses 1/4-wl 15 meter stubs mounted such that
the open end of the stub is at a distance from the boom that is not a resonance
point on 15.

Butternut's HF6 et al. multiband verticals use such a stub to create a 1/4-wl
vertical on 15, by placing the open end of the stub at the 15-m 1/4-wl location
on the vertical.  The stub decouples the rest of the antenna above the open end
of the stub on 15. Butternut uses the stub to create resonance, but who says
you couldn't use such a stub to create nonresonance?

A 1/4 wl on 15 is just more than 11 feet, if you placed such a stub on a 40-m
element so the open end is, say, five feet out from the boom, wouldn't 15-m RF
then face a high impedance on that element? Butternut faces the open end of the
stub towards the feedpoint, so I'm assuming you would face the open ends of
stubs towards the boom.

To take the idea even one step further, is it possible to use these stubs not
only to detune the 40-m elements on 15, but also to act as additional parastic
elements on 15?

Modelling might present you with the ideal stub lengths and locations.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad