Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods i

To: Roger D Johnson <n1rj@roadrunner.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 18:38:03 -0800
Roger,

I think I understand your point, that there are nonsense tower grounds with a few ohms at DC that are useless for strikes. OTOH, I think a high DC resistance to "far earth ground" is not a property of a good lightning grounding system.

Agree that this type of meter measures essentially DC resistance although at several hundred Hz, selected to avoid power system interference & harmonics.

Agree that inductances of the tower + ground system are the controlling property in a strike re voltage bounce.

Assume the design follows the recommended grounding that has 2 or 3 ground rods in multiple radial strings, with buried connecting wires.

Do you propose that it is not necessary to achieve the recommended 5 to 10 ohms of resistance in a tower ground system?

What is your measurement technique to determine if the actual construction is likely to be effective?

Grant KZ1W