Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods i

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: copper or galvanized ground rods in red SC clay
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 05:57:49 -0500
My thoughts on a ground system.

When you go through the calculations, my current preference is based partly on these regs, calculations and experience.

"I believe" a tower of any type should be planted enough concrete(don't go overboard) to serve at least, a small UFER ground with some sort of network resembling a star. All this in conjunction with a single point ground (SPG) . Often, construction does not allow a true SPG in many homes. Wiring lengths and route in the house can make a true SPG, impossible. Rare is the house where the station leads, cable, phone, electrical, TV/satellite can form a true SPG. And where it does, are all leads from the SPG to the equipment, the same length?

It's not just the SPG, but a well designed electrical system that allows for the station to use a SPG for the most benefit. I have, Phone, Cable (Internet), fax, CAT5 network, and servers. Cable, electrical, and hard wired telephone come in through the front, while every thing else comes in through the back. The only problem has been that CAT5 network, but that has been solved. with high speed wireless and parabolic reflectors to keep the receive angle narrow while the power between the den and shop is high allowing for near gigabit wireless. Only one computer remains in the shop with no network storage out there.

For most hams, the cost of a real, efficient ground system is not realistic, from a cost, and / or area standpoint, so we do the best we can. Follow good practices and put as much as you can afford into a good safety ground.

Were I to do it over, when I was working and not living on a pension and SS, I'd put up a heavy duty, 120' crank up in place of the 100' 45G plus a 70 or 80 footer by the back of the shop.

I have a rather elaborate safety, ground system in a more or less star with over 600 feet of bare #2 and 32, or 33 fround rods that cover a wide area of our one acre lot. That was when Copper was a fraction of today's prices ans steel was abt 1/4 to 1/3rd of today's prices.

Remember:  No practical ground system provides 100% protection
The US Military uses huge UFER grounds for bunkers in desert conditions. I havent heard of any complaints.

73

Roger  (K8RI)