Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 14:11:51 -0500
At 75 feet from the entrance, my tower is close enough that it's all one big ground system. I used to put arrestors at the tower base and house entrance. I had to replace those at the tower often, but not the house. Then I asked, Why? They both do the same thing (protect the equipment in the station), but with a much higher voltage at the tower. The series of pulses sees the coax as a big inductor and capacitor, automatically reducing the voltage between the center conductor and shield. What useful purpose do the extra arrestors at the base of the tower serve? They certainly do not protect the coax as the voltage across the conductors is highest at the top of the tower with a reduction by the time it reaches the bottom. If it held up to that, the coax from the tower to the house will see even less and fail less while still protecting the equipment. The same for the rotator and control box.

I took out the arrestors at the base of the tower, but I rarely have to replace ones at the house entrance/SPG. The cables run underground from the tower to the house. There is inductance in those lines, but also a large capacitance to ground. The capacitance is essentially a series of parallel capacitors to ground so the voltage is lowered as you move toward the house end. The coax jacket is grounded to the tower, top and bottom. At some point the distance from the tower to the house becomes great enough that they can be treated as separate entities. I believe Polyphaser says >= 200 feet you no longer need to maintain a continuous ground. I believe it said, needed, not that they must be seperate, but if not needed, why go to the additional work and expense of doing it? None that I can think of

It's only a single installation, but it appears to work for me.

73

Roger  (K8RI)