Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Grounds, 'remote' towers, 'house' power system
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 22:05:53 -0800
On Wed,1/13/2016 3:58 PM, Bruce Jungwirth wrote:
You said it. NEC is concerned with 60 Hz safety, not RF.

Lighting IS RF. It is not a DC event. It is not even a low frequency event.

Yes, NEC is concerned with safety. That includes lightning, electrical shock, and fire. It is a BUILDING CODE, and it carries the force of LAW when it is adopted by the local authority having jurisdiction over a given building. Specifically, it is a set of MINIMUM requirements.

Yes, earth connections are important for lightning protection, but the most critical element for all of those concerns is BONDING, not the perfection of earth connections.

As hams, we zero in on antennas as the conductor that brings lightning into our homes, while in reality, lightning comes in on power lines, telephone lines, and CATV systems too.

73, Jim K9YC