Re: [TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] My first tower section is not plumb...
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 06:20:06 -0500

"His tower is only out 1.5 inches at 20 feet which would be 3.0 inches at 40

feet his final height. I think he should put guy lines on it, go to 40 feet,

make sure the tower is straight (even at an 3" angle) then put an antenna on

top,  go inside and work a contest."

Ron W8RJL

I agree with Ron.  Define straight.  I looked into this back when my first
tower went up here and I saw that the tower was out of plumb about 3 inches
at its 70ft total height.  (my second one here is about 1 - 1.5 inch at 70
ft).  I found in research that perfectly plumb was neither easily achievable
nor necessary for a guyed tower.  It seemed that a few inches (maybe up to 5
inch for a 100 foot tower) was considered "acceptable".  So I decided to
just tension the 2 guys pulling in the favorable direction to compensate the
slight lean heavier than the 3rd one.  With a couple of beers - it sure
looks straight to me..

That tower is rock solid with a 4 el 20M monobander stacked over a 15M
monobander (36 and 45 ft booms).  Up for 10 years now and the more I look at
it the straighter it gets.

73  Ed  N1UR