Re: [TowerTalk] Coax above ground

To: Andre VanWyk <kr5dx@yahoo.com>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax above ground
From: Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2016 17:50:24 +0000 (UTC)
Sounds good to me.   Commercial sites do it.

Sent from Outlook Mobile

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 10:42 AM -0700, "Andre VanWyk via TowerTalk"
<towertalk@contesting.com> wrote:

I am starting construction on my new antenna farm this spring on a piece of
land that I acquired, neighboring my house. All cabling will run from my shop
building to a communications shelter, 320ft away from where it will be switched
to towers / verticals. The path runs through an area that is very wet all year
with lots of trees in between. Excavating will probably not be the easiest
thing to do. I am running 2 x 1 5/8”, 2 x 7/8” Heliax lines, as well as an AC
cable to power everything at the site. Control will be a wireless link.
After considering all the options of burying this, I came to the conclusion
that it will be easier running these cables above ground on 4x4 support poles,
about 4ft off the ground. I plan to use a Bobcat mounted Auger to drill the
holes about 4ft down below the frost line. I am cutting a path that is large
enough to keep the cables out in the open, away from branches etc. Further to
this, the plan is to place a few Owl / Hawk decoys along the route to keep
birds away, and I think chances of critters making the cable “home” out in the
open should be minimal.
Any thoughts?
73’s
NJ0F