Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 09:31:22 -0700
All good advice, and that's what I did for several years. My antennas are NOT all in the same place, so I don't do REMOTE switching, but I DO use a relay box under the operating table to switch all the coax coming into the radios. Once you get into serious SO2R operation, you really want automatic antenna switching controlled by Band Decoders connected to your radio(s). And, as also noted, these 6x2 switches only matter if you have enough monoband antennas (or a triplexer) to make use of them. I did not until about 3 years ago. :)

I see that Doug has separate 5B4AGN bandpass filters, but probably not the 6-band filter box (which includes a very nice band decoder and relay drivers). So he will need either band decoders or a home-made switch box to control the relays.

My recommendation for a 6X2 switch is the 4O3A unit. FAR better than the Array Solutions 6x2. I do NOT recommend the Microham unit or the Top Ten units.

73, Jim K9YC