Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6 x 2 unit...
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:53:28 -0400
Plan on allowing for expansion.

The nice thing about a decoder and a controller is it will pick the proper antenna for you. The odds of the wrong antenna using manual switches, even properly labeled are quite high. IOW, it becomes a question of when, not if you transmit into the wrong antenna. Yes, I know there are those who say they have used that scheme for years without a problem, but according to the odds they are the lucky exception rather than the rule.

Another point about the remote selecting switches is they easily allow for adding antennas to the system. They do not have to be monobanders. 20, 15, and 10 can all select the same antenna with most systems. My six pack has remote switches connected to two of the outputs. That means few of those connections identified with a band actually are used for that band.

NOTE: If you end up with any unused connectors (IE SO239s) lightly lubricate the threads and use a plastic cap to cover the connector. If not properly weather proofed the silver plated connectors will rapidly deteriorate. I've had them become unusable in just a few months.

73

Roger (K8RI)