Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:44:26 -0500
Once upon a time a long time ago in San Diego many members of the tuna fleet were equipped with 4 band HF antennas called cat's whiskers (due to appearance.) They were 4 sets of horizontal dipoles driven with a single coax feed to a common midpoint. The dipoles came close together at their midpoint(s) but were "splayed" out several degrees so that farther out from the center point they were farther and farther apart in 3 dimensions, not 2. The elements were copper wire wrapped helical fashion on stout fiberglass poles. The wire was secured by a top coat of resin. I'm not sure if it was epoxy or polyester resin but it was UV resistant and lasted well in the harsh marine environment.

There was, of course, some interaction between bands when trimming to tune for initial setup. Most installations did not use antenna tuners but some skippers and some navigators were hams and some of these used tuners to broadband the antennas for ham as well as marine HF bands.

This sort of antenna is fairly easy to DIY. Being balanced aerodynamically they put a light torque load on the rotor/rotator due to wind. They are relatively light weight and don't require a super HD rotor/rotator.

Some of the users in the tuna fleet did not employ a rotor/rotator and instead turned the boat to aim the antenna, an option of which many residences can't avail themselves. There were some cat's whiskers installed at residences of hams in the family of tuna fishing hams and seemed to work satisfactorily. I regret not being able to quote chapter and verse as to source, mfg, etc but this was some decades back so I'm claiming "Senior Privileged" employing selective memory.

Patrick        NJ5G