Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for a Short Rotatable Dipole or...
From: Kevin Stover <kevin.stover@mediacombb.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:54:17 -0500
K9YC has given the best advice.

A dipole, any dipole at less than 1/2 wavelength isn't going to have any lobes to rotate so scratch the dipole idea. It'll be pretty much omnidirectional.

Elevated vertical with elevated radials is the way to go. The radials need to be 1/4 wavelength at the resonant frequency. I would put up a minimum of two and had four per band on my roof mounted Hustler 6BTV. The 40 and 80m radials were anything but straight. All of the radials came off the bottom of the vertical at about a 30 degree angle.

I tuned the vertical for the part of the band I wanted, then tuned two radials at a time, making a dipole out of them and cutting them to match the vertical resonant frequency. No big deal, works like a charm.