Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi

To: Máximo EA1DDO_HK1H <ea1ddo@hotmail.com>, Jon Pearl - W4ABC <jonpearl@tampabay.rr.com>, Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>, "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Rotator Choice for Larger Yagi
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 10:59:53 -0700
It's what we call in the US a "Lovejoy" coupling. I don't see how it can handle axial loads. The installation instructions specify the distance between the end plates of the two shafts.

The specs do show a maximum vibration torque level much less than the static value. "Alternating Torque TKW"

The mast above the coupling in the jpg must be held axially by bearings somewhere.

Again, these are engineered for vibration and shaft alignment management and are much less effective for shock damping.

some specs at http://onlinetools.ktr.com/cgi-bin/webkup.exe?Mod=2&La=en&P=02&B=001&Z=45 installation at https://www.ktr.com/fileadmin/ktr/media/Manuals/40210en000000.pdf

Grant KZ1W

snip