Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling LMR-600 in Conduit

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling LMR-600 in Conduit
From: Michael Murphy <mike@ki8r.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 13:06:19 -0400
I pulled a single run on LMR 600 along with a HD rotor cable and control
cable for the Coax Switch through 210 feet of 4".  No lube.  It came
through just fine. But 200+ feet is a lot of pulling after you have been on
the tower all day.

See https://ki8r.com/tower-project/

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <
K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net> wrote:

> I have 2 runs of LMR600 from the house to the tower and 2 runs from the
> shop to the tower. A total of 4 runs through PVC conduit
> The last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm
> shows the LMR600 from the shop into the junction box on the tower.  I used
> a lot of wire pulling lube/soap. I use sweep 45s instead of 90s.
>
> Yes, LMR600 is much more rigid than BuryFlex, but it pulls through 3" PVC
> conduit if there are no sharp bends. Use sweep 45s instead of 90s.  LMR600
> is more rigid than LMR400.  There is an Ultra Flex version of LMR 400 and
> 600,  The LMR400UF is notably more flexible than BuryFlex(TM), BUT the
> jacket is a rubber like material that does not stand up well when exposed
> to the elements.  It has a quoted life of 10 years, or half that of
> standard LMR400 and 600s 20 years.  I've found the UF versions failed after
> only 5 or 6 years as rotator loops.  I had 5 lengths of LMR400UF used as
> rotator loops and leads from the top of the tower to the antennas. The
> jacket on 4 of those actually split while the 5th "looked" to be OK so I
> decided to make jumpers for the station.  When installing connectors, I
> found the Al shield and braid to be badly corroded.  The jacket had become
> porous and I was seeing water damage.  The jacket on the regular LMR 400
> and 600 is tough, but not so for the UF versions.
>
> I used LMR600UF in the conduit to the house to see how well it stands up
> inside of conduit protected from the elements.
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)
>

> On 5/4/2016 Wednesday 8:43 PM, RCM wrote:
>
>> Am I likely to encounter any difficulties pulling LMR-600 through this
>>> conduit? It seems much stiffer than the Buryflex.
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Jerry
>>

> --
>
> 73