Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling LMR-600 in Conduit

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pulling LMR-600 in Conduit
From: John Simmons <jasimmons@pinewooddata.com>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 13:32:07 -0500

I used a shop vac in reverse on the far end. The suction helps pull the cable(s). Fashion a loose-fitting wad to the front end of the cable.

-John NI0K
Michael Murphy <mailto:mike@ki8r.com>
Thursday, May 05, 2016 12:06 PM
I pulled a single run on LMR 600 along with a HD rotor cable and control
cable for the Coax Switch through 210 feet of 4". No lube. It came
through just fine. But 200+ feet is a lot of pulling after you have been on
the tower all day.

See https://ki8r.com/tower-project/

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 12:32 PM, Roger (K8RI) on TT <

Roger (K8RI) on TT <mailto:K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Thursday, May 05, 2016 11:32 AM
I have 2 runs of LMR600 from the house to the tower and 2 runs from the shop to the tower. A total of 4 runs through PVC conduit The last photo on http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows the LMR600 from the shop into the junction box on the tower. I used a lot of wire pulling lube/soap. I use sweep 45s instead of 90s.

Yes, LMR600 is much more rigid than BuryFlex, but it pulls through 3" PVC conduit if there are no sharp bends. Use sweep 45s instead of 90s. LMR600 is more rigid than LMR400. There is an Ultra Flex version of LMR 400 and 600, The LMR400UF is notably more flexible than BuryFlex(TM), BUT the jacket is a rubber like material that does not stand up well when exposed to the elements. It has a quoted life of 10 years, or half that of standard LMR400 and 600s 20 years. I've found the UF versions failed after only 5 or 6 years as rotator loops. I had 5 lengths of LMR400UF used as rotator loops and leads from the top of the tower to the antennas. The jacket on 4 of those actually split while the 5th "looked" to be OK so I decided to make jumpers for the station. When installing connectors, I found the Al shield and braid to be badly corroded. The jacket had become porous and I was seeing water damage. The jacket on the regular LMR 400 and 600 is tough, but not so for the UF versions.

I used LMR600UF in the conduit to the house to see how well it stands up inside of conduit protected from the elements.

73

Roger (K8RI)

RCM <mailto:robrk@nidhog.net>
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 7:43 PM

It will go just fine, until the last two feet…. use lube.
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 5:37 PM
I have a 160 foot length of 2" PVC conduit between my tower and shack. I
want to replace the existing coax in the conduit with LMR-600.

The current coax is Buryflex and I had no problems pulling it through the
conduit. I didn't need to use any lubricant. The conduit has one 90 degree
bend and two 45 degree bends.

Am I likely to encounter any difficulties pulling LMR-600 through this
conduit? It seems much stiffer than the Buryflex.

73,
Jerry