[TowerTalk] AN Wireless "cease and desist" letter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] AN Wireless "cease and desist" letter
From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 12:46:29 -0700
Date: Fri, 6 May 2016 11:45:37 -0700
From: Jerry Gardner <jerryw6uv@gmail.com>
Cc: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] AN Wireless "cease and desist" letter

> ##  after reading the above 2 posts archived posts..... IMO, steve is way
> outa line here.
> The AN wireless 60 foot HD is ONE HELUVA lot stronger than the 64 foot
> trylon ever was,
> not even in the same ballpark.  The AN uses a type F base.  18.5 sq ft
> concrete required if a
> solid 10 x 10 x 5 ft block used.   And only 10.2 yards used if the pad
> +pier base is used.
> ( this is no where near the 25 yards claimed in the post).

The tower installation Steve was referring to in the first post indeed
required >25 cubic yards of concrete. I know because it's my tower that
he's referring to.

The PE who did the calculations for my HD-60 was the PE AN Wireless
referred me to. I believe that this PE firm is also the firm that
originally designed the AN Wireless towers. The resulting plans called for
a 11' x 11' x 6' base.

The rebar cage was also quite complex. See the photo in the link below for
a photo of the rebar work before the concrete was poured.

http://www.gardnerdudes.com/w6uv/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/RebarComplete.jpg

73,
Jerry

##  and here I thought my re-bar cage + 17 yards was nuts for my  UST  HDX-689.
Your  11 x 11 x 6 =  26.9 yards =  54 tons of concrete.  Maybe your engineer
did not like
the loamy soil ?   IMO, it would not have gone anywhere with the prescribed AN
10 x 10 x 5 base... they already spec for sandy soil conditions.

##  But I have seen this before  with several tower bases where engineers are
involved.
It seems that no matter how much concrete the tower maker sez to use, the Peng
you hire
will always add just a bit more, make the hole a bit wider..make the hole a bit
deeper,
add some more re-bar into the mix..... then spec slightly stronger concrete.
Then when he is all
done, he looks like a superstar to the folks down at city hall..... who will
then tell  joe ham,
why hams need both the...’benefit of a building permit’.... and the prescribed
use of a Peng.

##  but hams have no choice in the matter.  Too bad, you pay for the Peng, then
you pay for more
concrete / bigger hole etc.   If the wind blows hard enough, the tower will
fold over  aprx 2/3
the way up the tower....and not at the base....that’s  typically how self
support towers are designed.
Both trylon + UST  do the same thing.

## forget all that, the AN  product is miles ahead, and cheaper than the light
duty Trylon, hands down, so
at least you bought the real deal.

Jim   VE7RF