Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Connectors Part 2
From: Bob K6UJ <k6uj@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 19:23:38 -0700
Tim,

I tried this method and and after a couple of tries I think I have mastered it.
Please bear with me, hihi.
I trimmed the braid slightly over 1/8" away from the end of the connector shell and then fanned out and folded the braid back over the end of the shell. Then soldered the braid to the end of the connector shell. The soldering only takes up 1/8" at the end of the connector. My first attempts had the soldering to the braid too far up on the connector and I couldn't unscrew the connector barrel enough.
That's why I am now using the 1/8" trim.
The pictures of the last steps showing the soldering of the braid to the shell could be clearer. :-) I use shrink tubing and slide it over the soldered joint just enough to insure I can unscrew the connector barrel and it looks great. I like this process, no over heating the dielectric as you said, no question about a good
soldered connection to the shell,  and super strong.
I have a hunch that others that may have tried it didn't like the look of the finished result. Yes the soldered joint to the shell is there for god and everyone to see :-) but if the shield strands are trimmed equally before soldering and then the connector and coax junction is either taped or shrink tube is used (one of which is a good
idea to do) then it is a great PL-259 connection and looks pretty too hihi.

73,
Bob
K6UJ