Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL259 Cobbectors Part 2 - Murray W9EHQ
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2016 03:08:04 -0400
Yes and it does!

Liquid electrical tape is about the only thing that works and stays. I will be using it where the matching coax ts soldered in on the C3i antennas. I was really surprised to find the solder joints gone on the 144 and 440 antennas.

Epoxy works, but it deteriorates over a few years where the outer layer of the liquid tape only dulls a bit, which I believe is due to dust settling or "stuff" in the rain. At-any-rate the liquid tape remains viable as long as I've had it up so far. (Not quite 12 years) (bottom photo on link) http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm Click on photos for a larger view.

Unfortunately I have no current photos as that is now near the top of the tower that I can no longer climb. I might give the 500mm telephoto lens a try.

I'm going to add a common mode choke of 8 turns of RG-400 on 7 cores as it is an end fed quarter wave fed against the tower. I've been thinking about a number of coils in a box switched in at the feed point to add length, so I can switch the resonant point down. I believe that will be more efficient than just a tuner in the den, or shop.

73 es thanks.

Roger  (K8RI)