Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 12:51:32 -0700
Gerald,

AC6LA's ZPlots implementation is an automated version of what Steve is suggesting. You measure S11 twice for some known length of the coax you want to test, first with the far end open and then with the far end shorted. This produces nulls, the depth of which depend on the loss in the line at the null frequency. You save each of these sweeps to a data file, then export them to ZPlots, which is an Excel spreadsheet that does the math.

So as I understand AC6LA's ZPlots, he computes the line loss from the nulls within the frequency range of that measurement for that length of line. These loss values are then matched to the computed loss from the equation for loss in a line to determine the constants for that equation needed to fit the values at those nulls. The fundamental equation is then plotted vs frequency. The equation for loss is from the trans lines equations, taking into account resistance of the conductors at the frequency of interest (including skin effect). An easy place to see that loss equation is on a data sheet for Times coax. The numeric values in that equation are for that particular coax; what ZPlots does is empirically determine those values for the coax we've measured.

i'm sure that Dan will correct any errors in my educated guess. :)

This is pretty easy to do if you have any decent vector impedance analyzer that can export data and Excel running on a computer. It works with any of the AIM units, with my VNWA, and with other comparable analyzers. Download ZPlots, which is an Excel spreadsheet. Note that ZPlots does NOT work with Open Office and Libre Office spreadsheets, probably because it depends on Excel's macro language. ZPlots imports in several text data formats, including Touchstone .s1p. I don't know about other analyzers.

73, Jim K9YC