Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax Losses on 160 and 75?
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2016 08:06:31 +0100
Some of the accuracy issues can be explored using Dan's excellent TLD software. Say we had 150ft of Belden 9201 which we were trying to characterise for loss on 160m; TLD predicts a matched loss of 0.449dB/100ft at 1.9MHz.

A 2-port analyser S21 measurement - assuming the analyser provides a perfect 50 Ohm termination - would predict 0.446dB/100ft loss. The error is because the analyser port would need to be 53.4-j1.4 to provide a matched termination for the line.

An S11 measurement with the line short-circuited at 2.11MHz - the nearest frequency where the line is an even multiple of a quarter-wave - using the approximation that Zo is 50 Ohms, and using the simplification that loss(dB)=8.96.Rin/Zo, predicts a loss of 0.519dB/100ft _at that frequency_.

Those discrepancies to not include errors due to the inaccuracy of the analyser.

Steve G3TXQ