Re: [TowerTalk] DOS?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DOS?
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 16:28:48 -0400
Basic is not a compiled language as opposed to Visual Basic (VB). The source is "interpreted" at run time. IOW: Virtually any DOS machine will run BASIC. Emulators?

BASIC is very easy to understand. Rewriting from BASIC to VB is "usually" a relatively easy task, although some programmers can write some rather obtuse code that defies understanding. VB uses the Dynamic Linked Libraries (DLLs) present in windows making the compiled version much larger than the source code.

If written in BASIC, it's likely it wasn't written by a professional programmer. Figure out what it's doing, flow chart it, and then code it in VB.

I doubt it's more than a couple pages long. Few "BASIC" programs were.
BASIC = Beginning All Purpose Instruction Code.

It would likely be easy to redo the entire thing in Visual Basic and then compiled. It then it "should" run on most flavors of Windows although I'd not go for any older than XP.

If the BASIC simulators have problems. I'd rewrite and compile it on XP if available and hope for the best. Otherwise all that is necessary is to run the rewritten source code through a VB compiler on that version of Windows.

NOTE: The compilers that come in instruction books, normally do not write portable code. The compiled result will run only on that computer.

I wrote a rather elaborate search program in VB for the big fly-in at Oshkosh (Now called Airventure). When I went to install it on their computer, I discovered that I hadn't brought the correct disks. I could fly back home and retrieve the correct disks at 4 hours in a Bonanza burning 14.5 gallons of Av Gas per hour, or write it, starting from scratch. I rewrote about 10 pages of source code and compiled it in about a day and a half. If you do it for a living, it's "normally" not a big deal.

Yes I have a BS in CS with a Math minor, plus work toward a Masters. A good job offer ended that.

 73

Roger (K8RI)