Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi Building Ideas
From: "Don W7WLL" <w7wll@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2017 22:34:32 -0800
Impressive, well done and tnx for sharing.

Don W7WLL

-----Original Message----- From: Jim Brown
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2017 7:29 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com

On Sun,1/1/2017 7:59 AM, Tom Hellem wrote:
Do any of you have some that you would be willing to share with us and the
group?

Here's a link to a talk that W6GJB gave at Pacificon this year about
building a contesting trailer for Field Day and county expeditions for
state QSO pqrties. Glen has come up with a lot of really good ideas and
brought them together to form a portable station that goes together
quickly and works really well.

http://k9yc.com/trailer.pdf

Glen is being generous in crediting me as strategist. This project is
all his.

I'm posting this link because it shows how Glen rebuilt and rigged a
C3SS for quick assembly. Slide #29 shows all the key elements of the
rebuild. All the elements travel fully assembled on the roof of the
trailer. The driven elements are secured to the boom with bolts and
nuts, the parasitic elements are clamped. Two people can get this
antenna up on the army mast in a half hour while a third operator is
working 20M on the vertical attached to the rack on top of the trailer.

Our team loves the C3SS as a portable contesting antenna -- between us,
we own three of them, all bought used. Glen did all the rebuilding. The
mast jack is also his design. Glen, Frank, W6JTI, and I did five setups
to activate 7 NV counties in 17 hours during 7QP, and we activated three
counties in the CA QSO party. Butte and Glenn were from this trailer,
Tehama by three other team members.

73, Jim K9YC