Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2017 22:17:34 -0400
Both of you are way more ME than I am, but I saw (& was hired to remove) a bent (crumpled right between the support tube and rotator) pointy top R25 top section with a tall heavy duty mast inserted only 3' to the standard R25 rotator position. To my way of thinking, that mast exerted a way different force vector on the tower than it would have if extended deeper into the tower.

I'm guessing it depends on how stiff the mast is. If it is perfectly stiff, the force at the top is mostly horizontal if the mast is deep into the tower.

Note: the pointy top R25 section is missing diagonals where the rotator is inserted.

-Steve K8LX