Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 & Mast lingth
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 01:15:05 -0400
I respectfully disagree on the advantage of going farther down with the mast. The farther you go (within reason) the less moment / leverage is applied to the top plate and bearing. 25 G benefits from spreading the load out I agree that with a relatively small tribander there would be little advantage depending on the wind and wind area of the antenna. 2 feet above the top of the tower is the same as doubling the wind load. 5 feet gives a 5X increase. Going down inside the tower translates the bending moment to a side thrust. OTOH if the mast is too flexible, or too long, then going down too far will let the mast flex inside the tower, increasing the bending moment.

For most ham installations these are of little concern. They can become problems with large antennas and arrays. My installation was an experiment in loading http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm The rotator is mounted between 15 and 20 feet below the top with a thrust bearing located between the rotator and top thrust bearings, These bearings only keep the mast centered and support no load. The mast is 2" OD structural steel tubing

The 144/440 antennas were close to 30 feet above the top bearing with the 7L C3i 6-meter Yagi about 15' above the top plate, and the TH-5 about 2 feet above the top plate. Definitely a bit over loaded. This arrangement "destroyed a TB-3 and TB-4 thrust bearings.

I have a relatively inexpensive DeWalt (sp?) cut off saw that uses a relatively large diameter abrasive disk. It makes fast work of steel masts. Don't use one of these on Aluminum. The disk will load up with Aluminum and possibly disintegrate from the imbalance. For Al, just use a regular cutoff saw. Don't be tempted to speed up the cutoff as you will then have to debur the piece. OTOH you may need to anyway. Removing burs from Chrome Moly tube will likely require an abrasive grinder bit.

Alloys and coolant. It depends on the alloy and cutting speed. The harder you push (Within reason), the faster it cuts generating more heat. I don't bother with coolant on steel masts and can cut off a 2" mast in just a few seconds. Harder alloys should be cut slower. Cut with little pressure and a lot of patience can be done without cooling, but it's a good idea to rig a garden hose with a low flow into the cutting area as most will succumb to a desire to cut faster.

It's a good idea to do this on the garage apron, or driveway as abrasive cutting is messy. With water, it can be a big mess. Also, slower cutting leaves a cleaner cut. Be careful! any burs are likely to be very sharp.

73,  Roger (K8RI)