Re: [TowerTalk] US TOWER HDX-89 / Tash DX86 Wind Rating Differences

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US TOWER HDX-89 / Tash DX86 Wind Rating Differences
From: Patrick Greenlee <patrick_g@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 20:38:00 -0500
Tashjian uses higher strength steel than some of the competition.

Patrick        NJ5G

On 6/10/2017 9:00 AM, Richard Thorne wrote:
This may not be comparing apples to apples but here's my question after studying the two towers.

US Tower HDX-89 claims 9.2 sq ft of max allowable antenna wind area 90 mph 3 second gust Tash DX86 claims 21 sq ft of max allowable antenna wind area 85 mph 3 sec gust

After looking at both designs they both start with a lower section that is 28.75" wide and a top section that is 13 7/8" (Tash) and 13 15/16" (US Tower)

So the designs appear to be the same, why are the allow able antenna wind loads so different? I realize that one is based on 90 mph the other on 85 mph. Does the 5 mph delta add up to a 11.8 sq ft difference?

Thanks in advance.

Rich - N5ZC