Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: "'Patrick Greenlee'" <patrick_g@windstream.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@largeriver.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 15:29:26 -0500
It can happen. Several years ago I had my boat docked at a friends place and
a palm tree got hit by lightning. The concrete seawall about 10 feet away
had a large chunk blown out of it. This was a salt water canal. There was
rebar in the seawall.
It didn't do any damage to the boat except for the compass being off by
about 90 degrees for about a month and it slowly returned to normal.

In another life I used to write subcontracts for two way radio tower
installations so I saw quite a few towers mounted on and in concrete. In
that time I did see a few foundations that cracked due to lightning strikes
on the tower. However most if not all of those towers did not have auxiliary
ground rods at the base of the tower.

73
Gary  K4FMX