Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 18:26:40 -0500
I'm a research meteorologist at the National Severe Storms Lab in Norman, OK. I
don't do Lightning research but know others that do. Here's what I know from
them: 1) static porcupines don't work, 2) in order to induce a noticeably
higher probability of cloud-to-ground lightning strikes, an object needs to be
at least 200 ft above the average surface (not terrain). Tree tops become part
of the average surface.

Kim N5OP

"People that make music together cannot be enemies, at least as long as the
music lasts." -- Paul Hindemith