Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightening
From: Stan K2STN <k2stn@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2017 21:09:15 -0400
May I ask if the re-bar in those blown tower foundations was as bonded together and to the tower?

From what I've read it was the pulse jumping from rod end to rod end that concentrated the energy producing steam which did the damage.

Stan

On 6/26/2017 4:29 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:
It can happen. Several years ago I had my boat docked at a friends place and
a palm tree got hit by lightning. The concrete seawall about 10 feet away
had a large chunk blown out of it. This was a salt water canal. There was
rebar in the seawall.
It didn't do any damage to the boat except for the compass being off by
about 90 degrees for about a month and it slowly returned to normal.

In another life I used to write subcontracts for two way radio tower
installations so I saw quite a few towers mounted on and in concrete. In
that time I did see a few foundations that cracked due to lightning strikes
on the tower. However most if not all of those towers did not have auxiliary
ground rods at the base of the tower.

73
Gary  K4FMX