Re: [TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded studs and

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded studs and bolts.
From: Steve Bookout <steve@nr4m.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2017 12:56:11 -0400
Hello all,

I have tried using anti seize compounds on stainless hardware, but I find it next to useless once the nut/bolt connection has been out in the wx for a long time. I would expect that even if externally 'washed off' by the weather, there would be some left on the inside where the actual stainless to stainless contact takes place. But, I don't recall EVER having it come apart as it should.

I remember always using anti seize compound on the U-bolts on Hygain rotators and always breaking them off at a later date. This was, of course, when I had no spare available. I just started to *assume* the U-bolt would gall, seize and beak, and I would make sure there was a spare one available.

Commercially available zinc, or cad plated hardware is junk and should be avoided.

Years ago, I took down 6 - 90 foot AB-105 towers from a military facility which was closing. They had been up since the mid fifties. I just *knew* it would be a real PITA to disassemble this tower into 10 foot sections for trailer transport. I purchased 2 electric impacts, thinking I would be needing to break lots of frozen up bolts.

Surprisingly, the only hardware that broke were some pieces of 'hardware store' hardware, They were old, and almost unrecognizable, globs of rust. Every other bolt on the towers were hot dipped galvanized and could be removed easily with regular hand tools, although the impact wrenches made it almost too easy.

Bottom line for me is that I will only use hot dipped galvanized hardware, unless I have no other choice, and then I will use stainless. But, I consider the stainless to be 'one time use'.

73 de Steve, NR4M