Re: [TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded studs and

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Galling and seizing of SS nuts to SS threaded studs and bolts.
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2017 05:12:58 -0400
Good suggestions Bob. That stuff is tenacious, slippery, and tends to migrate as if it were alive.

73, Roger (K8RI)

On 7/2/2017 Sunday 10:23 AM, Bob Shohet, KQ2M wrote:
“With no preventative You have to twist the bolt off.  That can be a real
knuckle buster with 3/8ths or 1/2".

That’s if you are lucky.  Often the bolt will not twist and the bolt head
shears and then snaps off necessitating cutting off the bolt with a hacksaw, usually
in a VERY difficult and compromising position on the tower with poor physical access
to the bolt!

Neverseize or similar compounds are not a panacea either but they greatly increase the
odds of a successful outcome.  Don’t use too much though of else you will get
it all over you when you put it on or when you take it off.  Aside from the permanent
staining of your clothes, the slipperiness of the compound will compromise your
ability to do tower work before you are able to wipe it off your hands, gloves, tools,
etc.  I suggest that you put a large, soft cloth in your tool bag on the tower.  If
you are not on the tower bring a cloth and/or paper towels to wipe off the excess when
you apply it and to wipe off the bolt and hardware when you unbolt it.

Clean = safer and more productive tower work.

73

Bob , KQ2M