Re: [TowerTalk] Coax choice for crank-up - looking for TT experience/rec

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Coax choice for crank-up - looking for TT experience/recommendations
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2017 04:13:53 -0400
The UF is about the most flexible I've seen, but durable it is not.
BuryFlex is not nearly as flexible, but more than good enough for rotator loops. It also has a very rugged and slippery jacket.

I had two pieces that looked good. They were relatively short jumpers from the grounding block at the base of the tower to the NEMA panel where LMR600 runs to the shop and house, underground in conduit and a choke in the lead to the 75/40 meter sloping fan dipole. There is no stress, or movement to these jumpers, tet the one from the grounding block has had the jacket split. The jackets for both jumpers have become porous to the point where the braid and foil are little mote than white powder.

The jacket on the LMR 400UF, looks good, but on removal of the jacket, the foil and braid display severe water damage.

Time in service is roughly 6 to 8 years in a relatively protected area.

73, Roger (K8RI)