Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question

To: <john@kk9a.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] A dumb question
From: "Bob Shohet, KQ2M" <kq2m@kq2m.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2017 12:31:49 -0400
Some of that is just luck – sometimes it is GOOD luck and sometimes is it BAD
luck.  I gave up on my beverages deep, deep in the woods many years ago.  The
foxes, squirrels, mice, coyotes, skunks and squirrels LOVED RG-6 - both in the
quad-shield and regular flavors.  OTOH, between my towers and  my house, out in
the clear with all the brush chopped away, the cables were left alone.  But
that was not true when there was brush close-by in which to nest and hide.  In
that brush, the cables were regularly chewed on, especially in the Winter.
Once I cut all the brush away, the critters decided that being continuous hawk
and eagle prey was not a good idea and they retreated deeper into the woods
where they could once again nest in the brush and chew on whatever was handy.

I also put out about a dozen bait boxes around my house and at the edges of the
woods – this helped to slowly eliminate some of the chewing critters nearby and
no doubt as a result helps to reduce critter cable attrition.

In the snowier winters the critter problem is worse.  Nothing is really safe –
all you can really do is become a student of your native environment and
prepare as best as possible and continually adapt.  The more inhospitable to
critters you can make the local cable environment, the happier and safer they
will be.  :-)  And the happier you will be.  :-)

73

Bob KQ2M